Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Stepmom in custody after missing Detroit boy found in basement

Posted: Jun 26, 2014 6:51 AM Updated: Jul 03, 2014 6:51 AM

A father discovers during live TV interview that missing son was found in his basement. (Source: CNN)

A father discovers during live TV interview that missing son was found in his basement. (Source: CNN)

DETROIT (CNN) -The stepmother of a missing Detroit boy is now in police custody after the boy was found in his father's basement Wednesday.

According to WXYZ in Detroit, Monique Dillard-Bouthell has been taken into custody for a bench warrant out for her arrest in an incident unrelated to this case.

The other children in their home have been removed by Child Protective Services, and Detroit police are now investigating the possibility of child abuse.

Detroit police say Charlie Bothuell V, 12, was found behind a makeshift barricade.

The father was told during a live TV interview with Headline News' Nancy Grace that his son was found alive in his basement.

"We are getting reports that your son has been found in your basement," Grace said. "Sir? Mr. Bothuell?"

A bizarre revelation, live on the air, the father  - who is also named Charlie Bothuell - was apparently shocked to find out his missing son is alive.

"We're getting that right now," Grace said. "How could your son be alive in your basement?"

"[EXPLETIVE] I have no idea," said Charlie Bothuell IV.

Questions are swirling around the discovery of the young Charlie. The father has now gotten a lawyer and not making any comments late Wednesday.

What should have been a happy ending to a missing child case is now shrouded in mystery.

Charlie Bothuell IV says that it's impossible for his son to have been in the basement for the nearly two weeks he was missing.

"Sir, did you check your basement?" Grace said.

"I checked my basement, the FBI checked my basement, the Detroit police checked my basement, my wife checked my basement. I've been down there several times. We've all been checking," Charlie Bothuell IV said.

Detroit police confirm that investigators saw no signs of Charlie Bothuell after searching the home four times, including once with a cadaver dog.

"The FBI searched, Detroit police searched, we all searched, they brought dogs, everything, everybody has searched. Oh my God, my son," Charlie Bothuell IV said.

According to the police, Charlie Bothuell was found barricade behind boxes and a large 55-gallon drum, raising suspicions as to whether someone might have hidden him.

"There's no way he could have erected this makeshift area of concealment. It would be hard for me sit here and tell you that someone didn't know that Charlie was there," said Chief James Craig, Detroit Police.

In an impromptu press conference held as Charlie Bothuell IV arrived home from Nancy Grace's show. He vehemently denied having any knowledge of his son's whereabouts.

"For anybody to imply that I somehow knew my son was in the basement is absurd and wrong. I love my son. I'm glad that he's home. Man I thought my son was dead," Charlie Bothuell IV said.

Charlie has been released from the hospital after a mental evaluation, according to clickondetroit.com. He says investigators would like to speak with him before he has contact with his family.

Young Charlie is now in the custody of his biological mother.

Copyright 2014 WXYZ, HLN'S NANCY GRACE, via CNN. All rights reserved.

http://www.tucsonnewsnow.com/story/25877524/dad-told-on-live-tv-missing-son-found-alive

No comments: